FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How To Fit In?? How To Dress? Living in London This Summer
Old May 11, 2005, 7:00 am
johnnied

Programs: NW Plat, UA PE, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Delta Platinum Medalion.
Originally Posted by Ziena
I have a rather silly question for you all: I am a female American university student and will be living in London this summer (July-August). My hope is that I will not look too "touristy" or "out of place," so I am asking for some pointers.
I am aware that London is a very fashionable city, but there are a few questions I have. (For the men out there, mind asking the lady in your life these questions for me??)
1) As a 21 year old university student, I will be walking extensively not only in London (to the university and such), but also in other European cities that I visit on the weekends. Although I fancy high heeled shoes to go with my skirts/dresses, are they practical? What would a Londoner recommend as a good pair of shoes for lengthy walks? I'd prefer to avoid trainers, as they aren't very appropriate for most of what I usually wear. I'm looking for comfort and fashion...Two things that do not often go hand-in-hand...Hehe
2) On a "normal" day what would a Londoner wear (female)?
3) Should I bring any special/more formal outfits for any other events that are common in July/August?
Other than that, are there any other pointers one would like to offer on this topic?
Thank you so much!!
I have heard topless works well...

In all seriousness, I have been there the last 4 years in July and this year will be no exception, especially with Harry Potter coming out. I have noticed that we pretty much dress the same. You will be able to tell the American tourists from most everyone else not by their clothes, but by their weight. A lot of Londoners wear trainers commuting like here, then change to the more fashionable footwear of the day. It can get cool in the evenings, so keep that in mind. Also, be prepared for sticker shock that will get your knickers in a twist, so bring lots of $$. It sounds like you have a pretty good fashion sense, so I really think you will be fine. And the tube IS very humid in July.

Have fun!

MIND THE GAP!!