FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping housekeepers?
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:08 pm
peter11

Programs: UA, SPG
I dont think that housekeepers receive tips from the majority of their rooms. However, I often feel that they deserve a tip. Certainly the wages are not great, and as we are often traveling on business the expense is deductible. Even if its not, when you are staying in a $300 or $400 a night room (especially at a resort you are staying at for 5 nights or so) an extra $5 or even $10 (I guess I overtip!) is not a big deal. It is amazing how appreciative the housekeepers are. I once left a $5 tip at an airport hotel that I had stayed two nights at. On the morning of my checkout I had a meeting in one of the conference rooms at the hotel. Even though I was checking out that day the housekeeper came and made up my room. I saw her in the hall and she thanked me for the tip and explained that she knew I was leaving but just wanted to have the room fresh for after my meeting. Her actions reaffirmed for me how much the few dollars are appreciated and probably needed by the housekeeping staff. If you can afford it I say spread the wealth.