FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - For Canada based AAdvantage members only!
Old Jun 21, 2000, 10:47 am
FewMiles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Shareholder: I think you are quite right that Canadian AAdvantage members are getting quite a sweetheart deal from AA.

When CP was still a part of oneworld, CPlus members had the best deal going. For example, we could earn miles on both AA and BA transatlantic flights and we even got points for discounted economy on CX. The loss of the oneworld alliance in Canada was pretty tough for us.

Now AA is extending several concessions to its Canadian members and I have to say, they're being pretty generous. Reduced qualifcation requirements, miles/points on discounted economy CX. The gold/plat challenges are enticing too.

For people who travel more domestically (N. America) moving to AA probably makes sense, but as Shareholder pointed out, for people who travel mostly internationally, CX/BA/QF gives a better deal.

I would much prefer to have a oneworld carrier closer to home (i.e. Canada) but AA's offerings are tempting. Most of my travels are within N. America and I think I can make the plat challenge on AA, so I'll probably go for it.

FewMiles..