FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - For Canada based AAdvantage members only!
Old Jun 20, 2000, 9:28 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And would you not expect U.S.-based members not to be pissed off?

A bit of discretion is also at play, and if we Canadian members plaster every variance of AAdvantage offers onto these boards, in the end who can blame AA for not extending considerations in the future. (It may not be worth pissing off their U.S. members who have received no breaks, other than the Challenges, to get their elite status.) I believe AA has been quite generous in their offers to us to date so as to get our business and move us into becoming active AAdvantage members. (Particularly when most accrual is coming on oneworld partners, and not on paid AA flights.) But all I seem to read on these postings is .....ing that all thi still isn't enough!

Sorry guys, but I have to depart from supporting your efforts for more, more, more. I find queue jumping is a distasteful activity, and we've had more than enough offers from AA to go to the head of the line. I realize Platinum is not like ExecPlat, but go out and earn the top tier and be appreciative of having been given a head start in the lineup to enjoy some perks while getting there.

As to the some of the specifics:

1. U.S. lounges have always been membership affairs due to a ruling by the Justice Department back in the 60s. This is based on anti-discrimination, not corporate greed.

2. The serving of free alcohol is a policy set from airline to airline. AA charges, which is a fact of life.

3. Lounges exist where the volume of members will make them viable. AA doesn't have enough volume at most Canadian airports -- and is unlikely to for quite a while -- to justify such facilities, so they aren't here. If we did not have pre-clearance of U.S. customs/ immigration, then sharing with CX/BA/QF would be possible at more airports, and a oneworld lounge might become feasible.

But, if you don't like these two realities, then get your oneworld lounge eligibility by earning Sapphire or Emerald levels on BA, CX or QF. That way you'll have lounge access on domestic AA (U.S.) flights too, and I believe two drinks coupons. (Yes, I know you will say one has to fly too many miles on higher fares: that's the price for such enhanced benefits. CP went broke giving us all those enhanced perks, not a way to run a business!)

4. There is "the Challenge" to get into the initial AA elite tiers on a fast-track basis. One trip across the Pacific to either HKG on CX or SYD on QF will get you Gold. Add a bit of domestic AA activity (afterall they are the ones making the offers) and you reach Platinum, and qualify after July and you have it until Feb 2002.

5. Those of us fortunate to have had active AA accounts -- and had demonstrated some actual business to that carrier in the past -- were comped to the next level of elite (save for ExecPlat), and so the lowering of renewal threshhold seems fair enough. Maybe it is "only" 2/3rds the normal level, but you can use miles instead of points and again, achieve it with two trans-Pacific trips (thanks to the generosity of CX which now makes their deeply discounted fares eligible to us for AA accrual). Is it worth $3K to you to have Plat on AA for almost two years? (I know, you won't get upgraded on CX or QF. It's the old "cake and eat it" syndrome.)

I'd best stop now. I expect the barrage will begin, but truly guys... what more can you expect to get from AA?