FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Des Bains, Venice left Starwood 11/1/2008 [Master Thread]
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:31 pm
rgm18

This hotel is on the island of Lido, about a 20 min water taxi ride from the city of venice, right across the street from the beach in lido (on the adriatic sea). There is a free boat every hour that goes from the sheratons in lido to venice, takes about 30 mins. This boat leaves from the dock at The Westin Excelsior, about a 5 min drive from the des baines, but there is a free shuttle van from the des baines hotel to the westin, sync'd up on schedule with when the boat leaves from the westin.

when you get into the train station, you can probably walk to the spot near san marco piazza (or to the docks at any of the sheraton properties in venice) where the sheraton boat leaves from and just take the spg boat from there (but you are supposed to be a registered guest and they give u these passes when u check in (though they never actually asked for mine)). these boats go once an hour. otherwise, a water taxi from the mainland venice will cost you about 80 euro. if you get in late at night, the sheraton boat wont be running (i think the last one is just past midnight). from the train station in venice, there is public transportation (including the night ferry) that goes from venice to lido by public ferry and then when u get to the dock in lido (its not the private westin dock, but a main dock), you can either walk to des baines (about 1 mile) or take a quick cab.

The hotel was very nice, i had a wonderful weekend, they upgraded me to a nice jr suite with an ocean view(im platinum on spg). the concierge was also very very helpful. i didnt eat in the hotel or in lido at all, but walking from the main dock on the island to the hotel, i saw a bunch of restaurants that looked reasonable. the hotel is very nice, but not as nice as the westin excelsior in lido. the grounds are also nice, but the pool was closed when i was there (in may), and i found out at the end of the weekend that you can use the pool and facilities at the westin excelsior if you want.

personally, i liked staying in lido as venice is super crowded and it was a nice break from the craziness. a quick recomendation, try to be on the ferry coming to venice during sunset, its unbelievably beautiful. had taken an afternoon nap then headed back to venice in the evening and got a very pleasant view from the boat.

enjoy the trip!

Originally Posted by DZMAN
I am looking at staying at the Hotel Des Bains Venice for 3 nights to visit Venice. It will be my wife and two boys. Staying on points and this fits my balance for 2 rooms... Any comments on the hotel, transportation, travel from the train station to the hotel, cost of meals and other things in the hotel, mid priced restaurants in the area.

Thank you in advance...