FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite Credentials Arrived
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:09 am
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by John C
So to earn lifetime platinum, you need to have been a member of MR for 12+ years, you need 1,000 personal nights, you must have earned at least 3,000,000 total points in the program, and you must have earned platinum level at least once.

You're correct that the above is the traditional manner of earning lifetime status....grind it out the old fashioned way.
But last year, Bill Marriott waved his magic wand and granted lifetime status to a number of people who didn't qualify the traditional way. It seems the number one criteria was that you needed to be an original member of the Marriott Rewards program, i.e. having signed up in 1984 when it first started. There were also some other factors that came into play here but they weren't specified in the letter....and I didn't question Bill as to exactly why I was selected. I didn't want to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.....
I believe the original members had to have been Platinum for at least a couple years and had to have earned X total points. But again I'm not sure of the exact criteria.
I would have earned Lifetime Platinum the traditional way sooner or later.....but sooner is better!