FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing Alcohol Aboard Carnival Cruise
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:25 pm
kevinjet

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AAGold, SW-RR, HertzGold, Marriott, Starwood-Plat
Smile Carnival and "smuggled beverages"

I've done many cruises and "every time", I've smuggled beer & soda's on board in checked luggage but....

The last cruise was Feb 2004 out of Galveston (7-day Elation) and the 3 cases of smuggled beer and 2-1.75l bottles of pre-mix Margarita all made it but the cold ones in a med-sized ice chest that we hand-carried onboard quickly became an issue.

Basically - we had a pre-boarding beer party in the bathroom not wanting it to go to waste. We were allowed 2 sodas or water per person for the week only to take onboard.

That medium sized ice chest then became the in-room cooler and I tipped the cabin steward 1st day to "keep it full of ice all week" then I would give him the other half of the tip at the end of the week based on his performance. He even offerred to buy beer for us at a big discount (plus tip of course) but we had plenty.

Other trips - same deal but I agree - some lines are super strict and others not quite but I do agree with the other posters - in the name of "lost revenue", not security.

It is also funny to be pool-side watching how many brands of beer folks are drinking that are not sold on the ship....it changes after ever port of call too (naturally)!

Have a great trip and "smuggle smartly"!