FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pirated DVDs in Hong Kong?
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:06 pm
hugochan

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does anybody know where I can find shops that sell bootleg DVDs in Hong Kong? I bought some in Bali the last time I was there ($1/each), and would like to do the same during my upcoming trip to HKG.
Thanks!
Right now, they don't *really* sell bootleg DVDs anymore, as it is strictly prohibited by HK Law. It is rather hard to find, and you risk being arrested by HK Custom Officers for even trying to buy the materials.

But, there is a twist to it. They are selling "Official China Release" movies right now. They are official release by Chinese companies in mainland China and they are cheap. There are several stores in Causeway Bay, one of them is just behind Sogo Department Store, and another one on the back street of Mitsukoshi department store. If you walk along the street right behind Sogo towards Central, you will find one more to your left.

One more comment: According to my friend, who is a lawyer in HK, those Official China Release DVDs are legal to buy/ sell freely, as they are actual releases from Chinese companies. If you look at them, they even have laser seals.

Last edited by hugochan; Jan 29, 2005 at 10:33 am Reason: Add one more comment