FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong for a woman alone?
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:15 am
77W_12A
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by climbermom
I have the opportunity to go to HKG 1/11 - 1/16 with my husband. However, he'll be at business meetings and dinners, so I'm pretty much on my own, day and night. But it's a free flight and hotel, so I'd like to go...

Is it safe for a woman to be there alone? Would I be able to find a tour or group to see the local sights, and maybe get over into China for the day? Is the shopping really that great?

Any help would be appreciated.
If you like to shop, YOU'LL LOVE HKG!!! It's some of the best shopping in the world. If you like designer clothing, you'll find any brand that's out there. One of the places I'd check out is Pacific Place over on HK Island. I believe it's the biggest mall in HKG. You'll find all the international brands....some you won't even find in the States, but would at Harvey Nicks (which they are building a branch in Hong Kong). Also, check out Times Square at Causeway Bay.
You like to shop for jewelry? There is a saying in HKG that you'll find more jewlery stores in HKG than dim sum restaurants. On a recent trip, I bought a watch (well known Swiss watch), and it was 30% less than what I would of paid for the same watch in the States.
Mong Kok, you'll find open air shops and definitely more of a HKG flavor. It's a very safe city. Must take the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Wanchi/Central. It's cost HKD 2.35!! What a bargain. Just practice common sense. Hope you enjoy!!!

Last edited by 77W_12A; Dec 31, 2004 at 10:19 am