FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - where to stay for one night on the big island?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:11 am
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thumbs up

Well, I hope some longer-term kama'aina (I've only been here 3+ months) or seasoned Big Island travelers will chime in, but FWIW.....

Originally Posted by craig5571
hello everyone,
the wife and I are going to kauai 7/23/05 - 7/30/05, and we will be staying at the embassy poipu resort, anyways , what we want to do is check out early on the 30th (saturday)catch an interisland flight to the big island, and do an all day tour there, then we would need a place to stay for one night on the big island. ( not more than $80-100 if possible). then on 7/31/05 (sunday)we would take another tour, and in the evening catch an interisland flight to maui, where we would stay for a week (08/07/05) at our embassy time share on maui. and then fly home, i managed to get first class award tickets from detroit.. ( but thats another story...) so the questions are

1. where should we fly into on the big island hilo or kona?

I live 12 miles from Hilo, so I am biased. But even so, I would suggest flying into Hilo if the connections work for you? While Kona is an easy airport compared to many on the mainland, Hilo is even easier. The car rentals are across the street. The time to any of the hotels is no more than 5 minutes. The traffic in Kailua-Kona, while not California-esque yet, is terrible at many times of the day. If you are arriving Saturday morning into Hilo, I would rent a car, drive to downtown Hilo and enjoy the Farmer's Market; you could pick up some goodies for your next week. I would then visit the Tsunami Museum, wander around the charmingly-funky downtown Hilo area, have lunch at Ocean Sushi or (for a lot more elegance but not a lot more money) at Kaikodo, followed by coconut ice cream at Tropical Dreams in the Kress Building. You could then drive up the Hamakua Coast towards Honaka'a. Be sure to take the 4 mile scenic route that begins in Papaikou. The Botanical Gardens on that route while pricey is an excellent stop. Right before you turn back to the main highway, stop and have a smoothy at What's Shakin'. You could then head a few more miles northward and go to Akaka Falls; it's truly spectacular. On your way back to the highway, enjoy some of the shops in "downtown" Honomu.

Then, depending on the time in the afternoon and your energy level, continuing driving up the Hamakua coast. Consider a stop at the train museum in Laupahoehoe. The Big Island's railroad was quite an achievement in its day (portions of the highway you're driving follow the old railroad; some of what look like railroad trestles over the highway are actually remnants of flumes that transported sugar cane down the mountainside). But don't miss, about a mile past the town of Laupahoehoe, the turnoff to Laupahoehoe Point. This is an incredibly spectacular spot.

If you still have daylight and energy, continue toward Honaka'a, stop at Tex's Drive In for a malasada, and, fortified again, drive highway 240 a few miles to where it dead-ends in the Waipio Valley overlook.

Now you have a choice: you can backtrack your way down the Belt Highway back to Hilo. From the Waipio Valley overlook it will be right at an hour. OR, make your second night a stay in Kona. Those more familiar with the Kona side can recommend hotels there. If you want only "resort-quality" then Kona is where you're going to have to go.

If it were me, I'd drive back to Hilo, spend the night at the Dolphin Bay Hotel, and be ready to explore in the other direction on Sunday.

OR, if you've stayed on the Kona side, you could get up pretty early and drive back to Hilo via the southern route (stopping at either the Place of Refuge or Punalu'u Black Sand Beach to see the sea turtles). Or if you want to do shopping in Kailua-Kona or loll in the resort you've spent the night in north of Kailua-Kona, then simply plan to fly to Maui from Kona and drop your car off in Kona.

If you drive back to Hilo, though, I'd again say drive from there to the Punalu'u Black Sand beach on Sunday. And if you are needing another malasada fix, there is a new Tex's drive very near there in Pahala. Return to Hilo mid-afternoon for a flight to Maui (with a stop at Big Island Candies for chocolate-dipped macademia nut cookes right before the airport).

2. should we take tours or rent a car and tour for our self?
I think that just depends what you're more comfortable doing and what kind of "touring" you like to do. Cars can be had fairly cheaply, and in the past I've gotten Priceline/Hotwire cars in Hilo for very cheap.

3. what is the earliest and the latest interisland flights run with hawaiian air?? ( have northwest miles)

http://www.hawaiianair.com/flightinfo/schedules/
or
http://www.hatimetable.com/hawaiian.pdf

4. recomendations for things to see on the big island over the weekend. (we went for a day trip to volcano national park in 2002 on our honeymoon , the tour was conducted by polynesian adventures we really enjoyed it)

5. where is a good place to stay for one night (07/30/05) on the big island?

See the above.

Hope that helps a little bit.....

Others more knowledgeable -- like slippahs and FlyinHawaiian will no doubt chime in as they have a chance.

Feel free to ask further questions on-thread or via PM.

Enjoy our island!

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 28, 2004 at 2:28 am Reason: To add links