FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best way to convert VHS to DVD?
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:49 am
SEA_Tigger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bagold
What is the best way to convert VHS tapes to DVD or VCDs?
For DVDs, the easiest by far is to purchase a stand-alone DVD recorder. Just plug in the cables from the VCR into the DVDR, hit play on the VCR and record on the DVDR and off you go!

Much, much easier then copying them to the computer, first. While the computer lets you do fancy menus and such, it's just such a pain compared to doing it direct.

Not sure if all DVD recorders can also record VCDs. I have an early Phillips model (DVR-985) and I am pretty sure it cannot. So you might have to use a computer for that.

Between DVD and VCD, is the end picture quality the same?
VCD uses MPEG-1. DVD uses MPEG-2. MPEG-2 is much better quality then MPEG-1. Now, we're talking VHS masters, here, so quality is probably not going to be that different between the two, but the advantage of DVD is it will play in most DVD players. While most DVDPs also play VCDs (since they are huge in China and that is where most of the DVDPs are manufactured), I'd recommend sticking with DVDs.

We don't have any desktop computers just laptops with CD-RWs and external DVD burner. So we CANNOT buy a PCI graphics that would feed a VCR signal in.
You can use the ATI USB Wonder video tuner/grabber. Also, Haupauge (sic) makes external USB 2.0 tuner/grabbers. Heck, you can even get external USB 2.0 HDTV tuners, now.