FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where To Find The YUP Fares?
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:13 am
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoc
I got one of those "Do 8 Full Fare Segments, Get 50,000 Miles" promos. I know that I can do it fairly easily and inexpensively on a YUP fare. But I was just trying to figure out what markets had those fares.

I know it's probably the markets where AA competes with USAir, but I don't know what markets those are. So, I'm hoping to get a fairly comprehensive list going.

I know that there are YUP fares available from LAS-MSY, LAS-MCO, and LAS-BWI. I also see them on SNA-MSY. They also used to be available from JFK-HNL, but I'm not seeing them there anymore. Anywhere else?
YUP fares have nothing to do with USAir.

Generally, they are offered in lots and lots of markets - although the idea of creating a "list" is usually a worthwhile endeavor, in this case, the list, if complete, might encompass many thousands of city-pairs.

Your "comprehensive list" would probably result in a multi-hundred page thread.

Historically, NW is generally credited with starting YUP fares as several years ago it began offering a free space-available upgrade to anyone buying a full fare Y and connecting thru its hubs at DTW, MEM and MSP. Other airlines were quick to follow. Usually, YUPs are offered on connecting routes, but sometimes show up on nonstops.

The easiest way to find YUP fares is to search on AA.com (or other websites) for First Class fares by price. You'll know 'em when you see 'em, as YUPs tend to be much cheaper than full F. But to make sure, check the fare rules to confirm that the fare is a YUP.

Good luck. 67k miles for $632 sounds like the right price for me. If I were you, I'd jump on it.