FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Border Crossings between Kenya and Tanzania
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:53 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Border Crossings between Kenya and Tanzania

Is it possible to organize a private safari which crosses the Kenya/Tanzania border at both Namanga (between Nairobi and Arusha) and between the Serengeti and Masai Mara preserves? I am planning a December trip that will follow our Hilton Safari stay at Salt Lick. When I look at a map, it looks as though i should be able to do a circular tour thru Ngorongoro Conservation Area, the Serengeti, up to Masai Mara, over to Lake Navasha, and down to Nairobi. I've seen organized safaris from National Geographic and the like that follow this path. However, the companies that I have contacted are insistent that I need to cross the border at Namanga. This forces a figure 8 trip, which seems to me to be excessive driving. It also forces an overnight stay in Nairobi in the middle, which i do not prefer.

If this is indeed a valid requirement - crossing near Arusha - am I better to give up going to the Masai Mara and concentrate on game parks in Tanzania? (I could stop in Amboseli before leaving Kenya.) I've got 11 days for the post Zanzibar, post Salt Lick, pre Nairobi portion of my trip. Do I understand that the migration will be in Tanzania at that time of year?

And one more question regarding crossings - if we want to come straight from Salt Lick to Arusha, the Himo border crossing is closest on the map. Again, my question - will I be able to cross there?

I need help! Thank you if you can offer it.