FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:06 am
stevekoe

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Brand differentiation between HGI and HI?

I am making my first stay at a HGI property this week, after many years of staying at numerous Hampton Inn properties. I am at the PDX location, and I am reasonably satisfied with my stay. I booked the room late and was accommodated nicely on a holiday weekend at a nicely discounted rate -- which they even let me extend to Sunday night on short notice, as my flight home to Florida was cancelled due to HC Frances.

What I am curious about is the brand differentiation between HGI and HI. In most markets where there is a choice, the HI seems to be slightly less expensive, though sometimes negligibly so. At first glance, the rooms look identical to the nicer HI properties at which I have stayed. I have a king sized bed, with a chair, work desk, 27-in. television, 2-line phone, and wireless HSIA. That is pretty much the same thing I get when I stay at the HI in Commack, NY -- which I do frequently. The only difference there is the 2-line phone, and I don't consider that significant.

Digging deeper....the bathroom has nicer products -- separate shampoo and conditioner, and a small mouthwash. There was no lotion. At HI, I get shampoo with conditioner and lotion.

Beyond the room, the hotel has an indoor pool, pantry, business center, workout room, and complimentary hot buffet breakfast (for elites, anyway). Is this the only real differentiation? There is a pool at most HIs, but most of the properties I have come across, the pool is outside. Only some HI properties have a business center or workout room, and I have yet to see one with a pantry. The breakfast was a little nicer, too.

All in all, it seems like Hilton is trying to position itself in a market against the Marriott Courtyard. If this is the case, HGI scores points with the breakfast, but otherwise doesn't impress me as much as the newly refurbished CY properties.

Am I missing something else? Please don't think that I am griping....just curious where this brand fits in the grand scheme of things so I would know what to expect should I choose to book in the future.

Thanks,
Stevekoe