FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best way to drive from DC to Boston
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:43 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jakeman
Bump.

I'm driving tomorrow from Richmond to Boston, then driving back the next day. On Monday, I'll probably check into a mental hospital.

I know it's shorter to take the New Jersey Turnpike to the George Washington Bridge, and then go through Connecticut on I-95. I wouldn't even think about doing that on a weekday, but would you recommend that route on a weekend? Or is there too much construction in Connecticut?

If I go over the Tappan Zee Bridge, there seem to be a lot of choices to make about the best way to get to I-84. What do you recommend?

As to Efrem's suggestion to avoid Hartford by taking 84-691-91-84 (if I understand the suggestion), will that add to the length of the trip, and is it necessary to do that on a weekend.
If you drive I-95 in CT on a weekend, you'll hit beach traffic. Sounds like you have an all-day drive ahead of you.

Here is what I would recommend:

I did the route from the GWB onward north last Saturday so I'm not just BSing or anything. A lot of people driving from the south like to avoid going through the GWB and instead select the Garden State to the Thruway to the Tappan Zee. Now I hate that route because of all of the toll plazas on the Garden State with the backups and how backed up the Thruway can get. I've also taken the Thruway north to 84 and then crossed 84 into CT but that also takes a lot of time as well and you go a bit out of the way. You will be driving most of the day; you might as well go as directly as possible. And don't worry about the RNC convention; it's no where near the GWB. Hope this helps.

Take a good driving atlas with you. If you see backups or hear about them on the radio, there are ALWAYS alternate routes.