FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airlines (if any) have a companion discount?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:57 am
rkt10

mrspilot,
Thank you for your thoughtful response to my question. Christine's handicap is not so bad that she would need a life-flight or anything. She's retarded, epileptic, somewhat incontinent and severely unbalanced (literally, not emotionally ). Before her balance became a problem, she was able to fly as an unattended "child". But now that it's possible/probable that she would fall and then maybe mess herself, she really does need to be accompanied.

My parents were able to leave a small trust for Christine's benefit... and we've been using that as a source of paying for the tickets (mine and hers). But if there were a companion rate, I would love to take advantage of it.

You are right about the rates right now. However, for her to visit my sister in New Mexico for a month, the airfares total over $1100. It's really 3 for 1, since I end up taking two round trips for her one.

The only upside is that I collect both the ff miles for my trips and the ff miles on AMEX. So there is a slight benefit. And it is a bonus that I do enjoy flying, even tho I fly one day and return the next. I guess I should think of it as being a free mileage run of sorts, since the trust pays for the tickets.

God bless your husband for doing his mercy flights. He sounds like a good man.

Thanks again,
Rita