FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for disabled/elderly transport?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:27 pm
MsEverywhere

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
if he's not ambulatory consider a window seat and this: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

or http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

It will be more private and easier to cover up in a window seat.

Just a thought, based on experience.
DeafFlyer,

Thanks for the info, I ordered one of these. Hope it gets here before we travel. Right now we're targeting Sept 11 or 12. My folks aren't too worried about WTC anniversary.

My dad's doctor said he's OK to fly commercial and wrote an order for the oxygen. He said all I need to worry about is getting him to stand up a little to prevent thrombosis. Is that a big problem? I've heard about it, know everyone is susceptible but maybe elderly non-ambulatory are more susceptible?

I'm leaning towards taking him on commercial flight in first class. He can't have bulkhead because he will have large oxygen tanks that have to fit under the seat in front.

I think for his O2 rate (3.0 L, which doc said should be .5 L greater than on ground) and the length of the flight (2:17 if we don't make fuel stop in GSP or JAX, maybe 4:00 if we do) he would need at least 2 bottles, maybe 3. So those would fit better under F/C seat. I saw where it looks like the F/C armrests fold up if necessary, and I would sit in window next to him, or aisle across since loads are usually light. And I could hold up a blanket around him for privacy.

But dad is concerned about standing and possibly needing to walk on a commercial plane. So he thinks he wants an air ambulance now. He's never used a walker in the nursing home yet, would a walker help him stand & walk? I think if he just got up & rested his rear end on his arm rest, that it would be sufficient to prevent thrombosis. I could get one of those cloth lifting straps and put it around his chest and hold onto it while he's standing up.