FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help! - Lost drivers license how to rent car?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:01 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You CAN get a replacement/temporary DL from Calif DMV w/o an appointment! I've lost/had DL stolen before & went in the next day. Means you have to wait in line which takes longer than if you have an appt, but you can get it. It will take a couple of hours though unless you get there first thing in the morning.

In fact, I just did this a couple of weeks ago when my replacement DL got lost in the mail. Walked in (at high noon even), went up to clerk, why are you here - my license hasn't arrived, ok, writes something on slip of paper, gives me a # & tells me to watch the screen, 40 minutes later I get called, they issue a temp paper one & tell me the real one will arrive 3 weeks later (it came in 12 days).

I was leaving a couple of days later & was concerned that the car rental agency wouldn't accept temp (it was valid, but a piece of paper vs an actual DL), but I just handed over my elite card & cc & they didn't even ask (presumably cuz the info was stored in my profile).

I agree - you get pulled over w/o DL, that's a bigger fine & not good. Get to your local DMV asap & get it sorted out.

Cheers. Sharon

PS - I always have a xerox of my license kept w/ my belongings if I travel in case I need it for lost/stolen reasons. That also helped when I was flying to SFO & realized the DL was in my skirt pocket at home & not enough time to go home. That, plus my elite card & going through SSSS, got me onto the plane.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 18, 2004 at 7:05 pm