FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Name Change and Flying After Getting Married
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:36 pm
sibley

Things can differ by state, but my experience was similar to that of ChocaholicFlier. (This was in GA last Spring).

I got a *certified* copy of our marriage license (GA has uncertified copies too, which will do nothing except hang on your wall and look pretty...make sure you're getting the legal certificate!), which I then took to the SS office. Stood in line for a few hours and then filled out forms. The SS card was mailed to me.

However, I was given some type of "receipt", which I took to the DMV. Stook in lines for few hours, and left with a new license.

I had already changed my CC...in fact, I called them a month before we got married to ask about the procedure. The CSR said "I'll take care of it now". Was the one and only easy part of the name change.

I was fortunate in that I didn't have to fly until we had been home from our honeymoon for a few weeks. I still took a copy of the marriage license, just in case.

The name-change process is a serious pain, but for some of us it's important. I am one of those people.