FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways to Qantas Transfer in LAX w/Checked Bags
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:09 am
TravelScholar

US Airways to Qantas Transfer in LAX w/Checked Bags

I need some advice here. My wife-to-be and I are departing for Australia a week from tomorrow. We're flying ERI-PIT-LAX on US Airways in First, and then from LAX to SYD on Qantas in Business. My question is what to do with our checked bag.

My fiancée has her award booked with US miles--one ticket from ERI all the way to SYD. My ticket is booked with a combination of US and QF miles--one ticket from ERI to LAX and another from LAX to SYD. We need to check one bag. Who should check it?

On the one hand, if my fiancée checks the bag, then we need to rely on US Airways to successfully deliver the bag to Qantas in LAX at a different terminal. On the other hand, if I check the bag, then I can claim it in LAX and make sure that Qantas gets it. The drawback there is that if the bag doesn't make it to LAX on our flight, then it is likely stuck there, since they wouldn't know I was travelling onward to SYD on a seperate ticket.

So, what should we do? Trust US to get the bag to QF automatically? Or do it ourselves??