FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RIP Concorde F-BTSC
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:13 pm
USCGamecock

Programs: DL FC, NW
Several things I am aware of:

1. This was a horrible accident and the loss of lives should be mourned and respected especially for the crew, pax and those on the ground.

2. It is easy to point blame out to different parties, however you must understand that the nature of this a/c was like none other that ever existed before. If it had an accident, more likely than not, it would be catostrophic. That is why the maintainance is so extensive and expensive. When any a/c goes down, the authorities try to figure out what went wrong and fix it. Look at the Space Shuttle. They did that after the AF SST accident. When you look at what happened, it could have occured at LHR, JFK or IAD as well. When the wife and I flew back from LHR in 1996 on the Concorde, I noticed that after we left the gate, a/c were taking off until we got near the runway. When we got near the runway on the outside taxiway, all a/c stopped and we proceeded to take off. There could have been the same debris on that runway that day.

3. It was and still is an accident. Blame, finger pointing or anything else will never bring back any of the dead. I would never believe any civil government would purposely allow anything to happen to jeopardize the safety of any passengers on any aircraft.

4. My good friends lives in Colmar, France. In 2000, while visiting them after checking out the Tour de France, my friend took me to the cemetery just outside the city to show me his grandfathers grave. It was about 6 weeks later when I saw the same cemetery on CNN as the pilot was laid to rest there. All of them were also upset at losing one of their finest in that horrible accident. They too were quick to try and place blame; however they realize that it was a terrible accident.

5. I think everone who ever rode on one of those beautiful aircraft shed a tear or two on that day for those poor people who lost their lives on that tragic day. I'm sure the pain remains for all of the surviving family and friends.

6. I agree with the moderator.

7. read all about it here. I think you will find this is the most complete description/analysis of the accident. http://www.bea-fr.org/anglaise/actua...oncorde-en.htm

Last edited by USCGamecock; Jul 26, 2004 at 7:00 pm