FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving Cape Town to Port Elizabeth
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:55 am
SchmeckFlyer

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
It is possible...

I have done the drive twice between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town, both in one day. The distance is approximately 770km (480 miles). In fact, once I also drove in one day from Cape Town to East London (a further 300km)without any problem. We even stopped in Plettenberg Bay for over an hour for lunch and a walk on the beaches.

I can say the roads are quite good. They may not be massively wide six-lane freeways, but they are well paved and it is easy to get up to speed up to 130kmp while maintaining safety. Hills often feature a widening to two lanes each side to allow slow-moving vehicles to keep out of the way, and there are regular widenings to two-lanes each side to permit fast vehicles to move along ahead of the rest. The trip is quite doable in one day, and very beautiful. However, in one day sightseeing will not be the main idea if you want to arrive in PE before midnight. But as you will already have seen the sights (and it is a GORGEOUS route), I imagine you will be able to go fast and not feel as though you have missed much.

However, since you have a flight to catch, you may want to take two days (leaving CT in the early afternoon) to avoid rush hour around CT and PE, as well as having ample breathing room in case of any problems (severe road accidents, flat tyre etc.). It's up to you, but I have done it in one day without a problem, and in a Land Rover Discovery even.

Can I enquire about where you intend to stop along the way to Cape Town? I only ask because I do road trips down there often; actually taking a friend from the States there in two weeks. You must stop at Tsitsikama Park... I always stay in a lodge there that sits beneath high cliffs, has gorgeous ocean views and the surf is amazing, huge. Are you going to Cape Agulhas? (The southern most part of Africa, not Cape of Good Hope!)