FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need to get from Dulles to BWI cheap?
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:18 pm
Eugene

Originally Posted by gutt22
If time if no obstacle, you can also take the free shuttle from IAD to the Metro station (it's about a 20-minute ride, I believe), take the Metro over to Union Station, and hop the MARC train (if you're going on a weekday) up to BWI rail station for just a couple bucks. Then there's a free shuttle bus from the BWI train station to the airport. I've done it a couple times before. I needed about 90 minutes at rush hour, if I recall correctly. Those were with little waiting time, too.
90 minutes from IAD to BWI? With all due respect, not doable.

1. IAD - West Falls Church Metro: Washington Flyer Coach: 25 minutes, $8
2. West Falls Church Metro - Union Station Metro : 35 minutes, $2.20 (off-peak) or $2.65 (peak)
3. Union Station - BWI Train Station (MARC): 35 minutes, $6
4. BWI Train Station - BWI Terminal (Shuttle Bus): 10 minutes, Free

That's 105 minutes already, not counting waiting (and there will be significant waiting) or even walking (e.g., from the Union Station Metro to the train), or time needed to buy tickets, etc.

Also, I am not aware of a free shuttle from IAD to any Metro station, the only options I know are either take the Washington Flyer to West Falls Church Metro ($8 one way), or Express Bus 5A to either Rosslyn ($2.50, about 40 minutes) or L'Enfant Plaza ($2.50, about 55 minutes).

Last edited by Eugene; Jun 3, 2004 at 7:12 pm Reason: It's Rosslyn, not Reston... Duh!