FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:35 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by thbe
Do you read all t&c that maybe bound you? Every world? Also of license contracts of every device (or car) you use?
Ignorance isn't a much of a defense when you are presented a contract and specifically assert "yes, I read the conditions and I agree to them".

Originally Posted by thbe
If it were ok that points, which are bought for money, can be deleted by the company on its own will, then it would be a fraud, to sell that points.
How is it a fraud to have intelligible and clear terms of a freely entered contract that is in no way compulsory and coercive? One is perfectly free to stay at Hilton Hotels as a guest without being a member of Hilton Honors, as well as to NOT buy points on terms that state "this thing you are buying isn't your property, and is governed by terms and conditions which mean we can actually take it from you if you abuse your loyalty program membership".

Obviously the reason why people buy points is to get an advantage; rather than use cash they'd like to stay at Hilton properties in, say, China for $20 USD a night (a bunch of Hilton properties in China are 5k a night, and five night stays would only cost 20k points/4k a night, thus $20/night during a points sale) rather than rack rate. They perceive an advantage. Hilton makes this possible... under terms and conditions it sets forth in a loyalty program. But I guess they need to confer property rights in those points as well because saying very clearly "you're not buying property, you're giving us money for the right to have limited participation in a loyalty program, the terms for which are stated here, if you don't like it perhaps you shouldn't give us money" isn't good enough?