FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:03 am
LordHamster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by username
Everything is OK until when there is an incident when these flying objects kill or severely injure someone (read the news reports about the Amtrak crash around PHL). Or, a cabinful of huge handheld devices slow down evacuation and get people killed.

To me, it should not be about "how can I interpret the rule or fool the FA so it works for me". It should be more about doing the sensible thing in case there is a problem to not kill people.
the airline tells me it is safe to use small electronics such as phones and tablets. Presumably the FAA did their research before allowing for this. I already use an iPad Pro, I don't see how having a device of the same form-factor with a different operating system would be any more or less dangerous. My question is purely in how these devices are "seen."

Clearly an iPad and a surface are nearly identical in appearance, function and construction... but one may be arbitrarily singled out by FAs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2017 at 2:16 pm Reason: snarky comment removed