FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Managing full F ticket purchased for family member?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:15 pm
livebetter_travelmore

Originally Posted by javabytes
Did you call Delta to ask about bereavement fares? These can offer flexibility at a lower price than flexible fares you may find through Delta.com.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...reavement.html
No, actually I didn't. I was in such a hurry to get Mom booked ASAP. Since you mention it, I have looked into bereavement fares in the past. I don't recall the airline(s), but I do remember being told some of them phased out bereavement fares presumably due to fraudulent use. I'll keep in mind to ask Delta specifically in the future if and when such a need arises. I did relay to the agent that it was for a death in the family, but she made no mention of the availability of bereavement fares whatsoever (though offered her condolences). Is there a special fare class designation to reflect a bereavement fare?

Originally Posted by javabytes
Full F doesn't get you any better treatment during IROPS than discounted First Class fares - they are treated identically per Delta policy.
Thanks for sharing that. Is that only true if one is rebooked on Delta? Granted, that would be the more likely scenario, but I'm curious how Delta would operate if one is really pressed for time and needs to jump onto another carrier. On a recent flight where a MX resulted in the cancellation of a (non-Delta) flight, the assisting agent for that scenario mumbled some comment about checking availability to rebook me on another airline and specifically stated he was looking in the same fare bucket of the other airline. For that particular scenario, I was in a discounted (first) fare bucket and the OAL did appear, at least initially, to have space. However, it implied that if there was no space in that fare bucket, he wouldn't be able to book me though it wasn't clear to me if that meant he merely couldn't get me into the same cabin but might could have in a lesser fare class and, in that case, cabin. Borrowing on that assumption, if one is in a true F fare class, then it improves the odds of full re-accommodation, yes?