FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding SDC - did I get a bad answer?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:14 am
MCO Flyer

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Hi folks,

I'm just now into Gold for the first time, and I'm trying to understand the SDC benefit.

The way it's written on the website, I can simply call in at T-23:59 from my first segment, and change (for example) LGA-ATL-BNA to LGA-DTW-BNA, as long as there's space open in my same fare type.

So, I can't change LGA-ATL-BNA to LGA-BNA, and I can't change from Main Cabin to Economy Comfort, fair enough.

I've got LGA-ATL-SAN coming up this week, and it was half the price with a 6-hour layover at ATL. There are plenty of seats on the earlier ATL-SAN, but I only want to switch if I can confirm an aisle seat. Long layover is better than five hours in 26B.

When I asked a DL agent to confirm this for me last night, he said confirmed SDC is only available in the event of IRROPS, and otherwise all I can do is standby on the flights I want.

As a bonus question - if I do a confirmed SDC, do I end up on the upgrade list as if I'd bought that flight from the beginning?

Thanks!
That was just a dumb DL agent that you probably spoke to. A question I have for you is how did you book a 6-hour domestic layover in ATL (the max layover time in ATL for D-D is 4 hours and anything longer than that is a stopover). To answer your bonus question if you SDC (not SDS!) you will be treated like your a regular PAX and will be in your normal UG list spot and could clear in advance if RU space is still available. (Very Rare) Its impossible to know if your fare class is avalible unless you call (or have a ExpertFlyer account) If you post your flight info that you and original fare class here, someone with an EF account on here can check if your fare class is available.