FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boarding Area's Fall
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:55 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
And you are basing this on? I am assuming that you are expert in the compliance standards for credit cards, correct? And also are an expert and understand the compliance standards that the credit card companies require of bloggers?
"Expert" appears to be a loaded word for you, but, yes, I am quite familiar with the compliance approaches of large financial institutions, as well as their lobbying and political activity designed to ensure minimal enforcement or the relaxation of standards.

Based on your own logic, every blog with credit card links is following the banks' compliance standards scrupulously. Ergo, if I see a blog engaging in a practice, I know that is not prohibited by the bank.

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I'm not going to pass judgement on what's good or not good for consumers. But, you seem to be holding the bloggers to a higher standard than the big banks. Perhaps, if the banks were held to a higher standard than this problem would be eradicated. I think going after AMEX, Citibank and Chase might be a better place to start.
Nope, I am equally an advocate for increased authority given to the CFPB and other regulatory institutions to protect consumers. And in appropriate fora, I am quite vocal in ways I think financial institutions in the US are harmful to consumers. But this is a thread about Boarding Area, which I didn't create.

And I think it should be easier to affect change at Boarding Area than at Citi, so long as people don't throw their hands up in the air and say "Well that's how Randy wants to do it so who are we to criticize his shlockpeddling."