FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for stories of refusal to provide password/PIN
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:07 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JakiChan
There are situations where this is a BAD IDEA. For example, if you do iCloud backups then those backups are encryped by a key that Apple knows and can be forced to divulge. Therefore your backups aren't safe.

I back up my devices before I go, and assume that if they're lost or stolen I'll just go by new ones when I get home.

This applies if they're taken out of sight. Even if they brought it right back I'd stomp on it right there in the interview room. "Sorry, I trust you as much as I trust the Russian FSB and the Chinese government. Which is: Not at all."

It's amazing how many people trust cloud services when it comes to security. If I was you I wouldn't...
Nothing protects you from hackers. I am not particularly worried that CBP or anyone else will bother to obtain a search warrant for my devices.

I am concerned that devices will seized and that CBP will brute force examine them, so the notion of not providing a password/PIN and CBP having at it seems the saner path.