FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL4734 emergency tonight
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:11 pm
gypsycsc

Programs: Delta PM, MM
DL4734 emergency tonight

DL 4734 tonight DTW-SBN. Experienced my first emergency landing. Loud noise coming from the rear of the plane and the pilot announced we were returning to DTW and the flight attendant would brief us on emergency landing procedures. She went through all the instructions, told us how to brace, instructed those of us in the emergency exit row, asked for any military or law enforcement personnel. Never explained the problem, but I believe it was a landing gear issue. The loud noise continued throughout the return to DTW. Plane was met by a number of fire trucks and ambulances. Fortunately, landing gear worked, and all was good. Deplaned, eventually got another plane and pushed back, only to sit on the runway a while and be told there was a mechanical problem. Returned to gate, deplaned, eventually got another plane and pushed back, only to be told there was another mechanical problem and we had to return to the gate. This time they were able to fix it, we pushed back again, fourth time was a charm, and we made it to South Bend. Upon reaching home I already have an email from Delta apologizing for the delay and saying I have received 10,000 miles. I'm simultaneously amused and insulted. I was not going to ask for anything as I'm grateful to be alive, and don't feel miles in my account can make up for what we went through. The emergency landing was truly frightening, followed by mechanical problems on the two other planes they tried putting us on. But seriously, Delta, if you're going to make a good will gesture, please don't insult us by throwing us 10,000 miles.