FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for stories of refusal to provide password/PIN
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:24 pm
JakiChan

Originally Posted by WillCAD
1) Never put sensitive information directly on your device when you travel. Use cloud storage only. This gives you the option to actually divulge the pin or password for your device without actually compromising your data.
There are situations where this is a BAD IDEA. For example, if you do iCloud backups then those backups are encryped by a key that Apple knows and can be forced to divulge. Therefore your backups aren't safe.

2) If at all possible, use throw-away devices when you travel, so you won't lose your primary devices if you're robbed, caught in a disaster, or have devices confiscated or compromised by authorities.
I back up my devices before I go, and assume that if they're lost or stolen I'll just go by new ones when I get home.

3) If your devices are confiscated by authorities, write them off. When they're returned to you, they will be security compromised and can never be trusted again. Run over them with a truck and recycle the remains.
This applies if they're taken out of sight. Even if they brought it right back I'd stomp on it right there in the interview room. "Sorry, I trust you as much as I trust the Russian FSB and the Chinese government. Which is: Not at all."

Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Don't obsess about CBP. There are tons of similar risks elsewhere in the world and some of them involve brute force.

Do not store sensitive data on any device. Period.

If everything is sensitive, upload it all, wipe your device, delete the password/PIN and let anybody who wants have a look at nothing.
It's amazing how many people trust cloud services when it comes to security. If I was you I wouldn't...

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 7, 2017 at 12:58 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function