FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can I afford to travel and how much money I earn from Travel Blogging
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:42 am
ctownflyer

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please allow me to further clarify.

Even during the golden years of miles and points when “free” travel was easier to accomplish, scoring a trifecta of using miles and points for airlines, lodging and vehicle rentals was nearly impossible due to different promotion periods, different qualification criteria and scheduling.

Today, you still can use points for a free — meaning truly free, where you walk out of the hotel without paying a single penny — stay at a hotel or resort property; but how much money did you spend to earn those points? How much time did you invest to earn enough points to do so? Some people consider opportunity costs to still be a cost.

Literally hundreds of weblogs pertaining to travel, miles and points exist today. The most successful — meaning profitable — ones did not start out with the primary goal of earning a significant amount of money by selling credit cards. They started out years ago writing about personal experiences, detailed analysis, comparisons of programs, deals, sweepstakes, and other content which interested readers — and they did so with their own voice.

Anyone who launches a travel blog these days should do so for the sheer passion of it and consider it a personal diary of sorts. Monetizing it will take a lot of effort and patience, as doing so may take years; and unique content — not just recycling the content of someone else — is a requirement for any remote possibility of success.
Well said.