FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dulles CBP Officers Arrest Two Wanted Felons upon Arrival in the US
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:37 am
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
So the following 2 situations involve much more serious charges than traffic infractions but are additional data points for international travel with pending warrants:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...ravated-sexual

Note the CBP's statement about checking passengers on arrival AND departure and the number of arrests.
I really don't have a civil liberties problem with any of this. If someone is crossing the U.S. border, they are fair game and I would expect CBP to be checking for bad guys of any kind. This even goes back to the Argenbright days where a bad guy would have an outstanding warrant and the cops would find out that they had bought a plane ticket for a certain flight. The cops would set up a bust and arrest the guy at the airport. This is just good -- and legal -- police work.

I have a big problem when this occurs at internal checkpoints which the SCOTUS has ruled may only be set up for immigration checks. CBP has been generally ignoring Edmonds vs Indianapolis and nobody in the executive or legislative branches seems the least bit interested in stopping them.

I have a bigger problem when the TSA takes on the role of general law enforcement. Nobody seems compelled to stop them either.