FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frugal Travel Guy
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:35 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Man that guy is clueless beyond belief. I almost thought the UA First post was satire at first but clearly it's not. Even if you've never flown in domestic F before, you've walked past it hundreds of times on your way back to Y, and have seen the in-flight service that occurs when sitting towards the front of Y.

To be working in this world and even doing podcasts with others doing the same, and still remain that ignorant, is pretty amazing. I'd think one would have to make a purposeful effort to stay clueless.

It was one of my regular sites as well back in the day, although for me at least the quality went down the last year or two before it was sold. I do appreciate what I learned as well but whatever form the site has taken now is beyond useless, sadly.

I didn't stumble onto FT and this world until ~2009. You were more creative on your own than I was though! I remember my first rewards card as United for that whopping 25K bonus. Although that was "only" in 2001 so maybe there were bigger bonuses available and I just didn't know yet? But it took me until 2008 to slowly accrue enough miles through flying UA and using the card to get enough to take the family to Hawaii. Never occurred to me to churn or to even sign up the wife for a card, too.

I was so dumb about all of this. One year I could've made at least 2P with UA if I'd only credited some US flights to UA (back when that was still a thing).

Anyway, at least I'm not still that clueless!
Am I the only one who remembers tier bonuses?

UA rewarded you for making Premex and 1k back in the day with a pile of miles.

Man, not even 50 and I feel oooold!