FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Gave Away my Seat after a Cancellation
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:31 pm
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
First of all, sorry for your bad travel days and welcome to Flyertalk.

What do you mean you were refused boarding? Did you scan your boarding pass and an error came up?

It sounds like maybe something got messed up with your ticket at some point, and the gate agent should have been more helpful than they were (regardless of your elite status) in trying to fix it.

Did you check your reservation on the Delta app at any point in this process? That might have given a hint as to whether something had changed. I am wondering if perhaps seats had opened up on an earlier flight and you were rebooked on an earlier flight than the one you tried to board without being told as such, and then when you didn't show up for that earlier flight it cancelled your reservation. Or there was just some more garden-variety IT screw up.

In the future in a situation like this, the best approach would probably be to call Delta immediately, to hopefully get the issue sorted out before boarding finishes (and to ideally make the call out of earshot / vision of the unhelpful gate agent so as not to annoy them further). Though once boarding has started the gate agent has control of the flight and there may not be much others can do.

I know it doesn't help remove the frustrating experience you had, but $250 is a decent offer for this kind of situation. (And for what it's worth I would definitely argue for choosing $250 over the 10,000 miles.)