FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:53 am
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Of course different jurisdictions have different regulatory regimes. It's not like the regulatory regimes are even consistent all across the EU in this regard either. But what does that change? People adapt to local conditions.

As indicated earlier, I still don't buy that for a NYC minute. Even non-US bloggers in this space have made a living from blogging -- including in non-US localities that are not the Wild West in terms of regulations. US bloggers that made a rather decent return from blogging about loyalty programs have had different amounts of iicing on the cake from credit cards. The same sort of dynamic is applicable from here in the EU too.

And now we have some from the EU here even confirming the same as I indicated.

The business model only works when bloggers live in the Wild West -- even if it's the wilds of western London or western Germany or in the gun-slinging US. Oh wait, bloggers in this space in heavily underbanked localities are also making dimes and then some in this space.
Yes, I agree that bloggers like raffles make significantly smaller income than the Titans using completely different business models, since the business models used by American points and miles blogs like TPG is unique to America. Not sure what you're even arguing about at this point. Or what you're not buying for a "NYC minute." The point you got exercised by was that a specific business model is uniquely American. I never said other business models dont exist. Indeed I explicitly said so?

Oliver, totally agree about sbm12. I don't consider his blog a "miles and points" blog, and it certainly doesn't have the business model we've been talking about on this thread for 4 years. Indeed, I respect his writing generally much more, because he lacks the conflicts of interest associated with credit card ads masquerading as content. I've never criticized the idea of making money from blogging. Indeed I think bloggers like Cranky and Seth produce high quality information and content without any deceptive business practices.

The sky is blue. The earth orbits the sun. I await an argument why I'm wrong.

have a blessed day!

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 7, 2017 at 4:00 am