FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:10 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If a business is in violation of applicable law and it is offending, then the persons who feel wronged are free to try to get the government to go after those failing to comply with applicable laws and regulations. Has that happened with any of the bigger boardingarea.com blogs?

The invisible hand is applicable, whether or not a business is lawful. But legal courses of action are available when and where the invisible hand has parties in violation of the law.

I have no doubt that some of the criticism of bloggers on this part of FT have resulted in making some of those blog businesses more financially successful than they would have otherwise been. When people are unhappy with a business -- such as a particular blog -- that thrives on attention, then why give it the attention that fuels its revenue? It doesn't seem to be effective, rational strategy for the critics, hypocritical or otherwise, of a business to fuel the business by giving it ever more attention of the sort that actually helps add toward its financial success.
And I disagree and find it rational. Shrug. I think we need to come to a detente and agree neither of us are persuading each other. Perhaps you should stay away from a thread that inherently is about sharing critiques and concerns about the business model?

Unfortunately not every violation of the FTCA, for example, is easily prosecutable. Bankrate has lobbyists and political contributions for a reason. And the FTC, even in Democratic administrations, doesn't have the resources to go after every deceptive blog. That doesn't mean they're legal. For private actions, you have to find someone who is willing to admit in court that they were deceived by a blogger. And having met with many victims of various deceptions, the fact that most people won't sue on it is more about the civil justice system in America than proof no such victims exist. But if anyone reading this has been misled into thinking a blogger was providing disinterested advice, please send me a private message. Fortunately , I will shortly be in a position to possibly pursue cases like that.