FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:09 am
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I applied for the SPG Business Amex on Feb 27 and got the "unable to give you instant decision at this time...".

Called on Mar 1 and was approved after answering some security questions.

Called again on Mar 17 since I hadn't received the card yet. Was told it must be lost and they would send another.

Called again on Mar 27. Still no card, but I did get my bill for $150 AF (billing period Feb 21 - Mar 20). This time was told there were some problems at Amex and card was being sent out via Priority Post.

Received the card on Mar 29. Hallelujah!

Since I have 3 months to hit my minimum spend, is that starting on Feb 21? Am I paying $150 for a card that will be valid for less than 11 months? Maybe I should ask for a pro-rated amount.
I see a lot of people are having issues with their sign up bonus. I am too. I self referred the SPG Biz Amex from my SPG Personal Amex and got the referral points. I've never had the Biz Amex before, and I cancelled the personal Amex shortly after getting the referral points.

I lost an entire month because Amex took so long to send me the card (see above), but I still managed to hit my $1500 spend in the first 2 months after I received the card (post date of May 19). No sign up bonus on the first statement (May 20) after spending $1500, and nothing on the next one (June 20) either. I don't expect this will auto-post. Based on all the other posts, guess I'll just have to sit tight for 10-12 weeks after May 19.

And what's with the 10-12 weeks? Is it 10, or is it 12?

Last edited by margarita girl; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:44 am