FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Glad I didn't succumb to plane envy!
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:19 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
You're incorrect. You're going off the 'upgrade tab' on the app and that doesn't show all upgrades. I (and many others on these forums) fly PS monthly or more and we use RPU's To sit in the front cabin.

We don't clear into the upgrade list that you're judging based based on your metrics and neither do tons of other people. I clear in advance. T-24,T-96, sometimes T-7 days out. I buy the cheapest economy fare so I'm not buying Y,B,M.

Go read the RPU thread. It'll clarify that everything I said as fact. Many of us are happy with our success with RPU's and have yet to miss an upgrade all year.

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
What this means is that UAL wants to sell those seats and make MONEY, not sell G-K-T seats and let pax ride up front without paying a higher price!
Of the 6 morning flights from SFO to EWR today, which is when the OP is flying, there is ONLY ONE upgrade and that is on flight #535 (Duf,A.-9G), with 48 folks also standing-by for an upgrade, on just that flight alone. Every flight mentioned above are booked full, in First, by people that didn't have their RPU's honored, because they weren't upgraded, but instead paid for those front seats.. So just to clarify, UAL is very stingy about handing out seats upfront with the use of an RPU in advance, and if one does snag one it's probably going to be at the gate.

My post above was to mention that it is not as easy as just applying an RPU, and picking your seat, as those days are loooooooooong gone.

So when you posted above--- flyerbaby19, "Why not use an RPU?" ----- THAT'S WHY!!!