FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help please! Advice re getting transatlantic upgrade with miles on AF/KLM?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:05 pm
JudyBlueEyes

Help please! Advice re getting transatlantic upgrade with miles on AF/KLM?

Hello all. I need to fly ORD-ABJ (Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire) late July/early August.

Current flights (Delta numbers plus AF/KLM numbers):

July 29 - July 30

*Flight 8505 Operated by AIR FRANCE As AF Flt 153
*Flight 8574 Operated by AIR FRANCE As AF Flt 702

August 5 - August 6
*Flight 8575 Operated by AIR FRANCE As AF Flt 703
*Flight 8529 Operated by AIR FRANCE As AF Flt 1340
*Flight 9382 Operated by KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES As KL Flt 611

(OR instead of CDG-AMS-ORD, I could wait 9 hours in Paris and take DL 8494 Operated by Air France 144)

Client will only pay coach but allows upgradable fare. Spent hours on the phone with agents who said I could upgrade with miles on return KLM flight AMS-ORD so I purchased a $5300+ (refundable) ticket; but once he transferred me to SkyMiles they said that upgrade wasn't available, nor was any other Europe-US route available for upgrade with miles. I can use 10,000 miles to upgrade on ABJ-CDG but it seems that only gets me from economy to premium economy, which hardly seems worth it. Do any members of this wonderful community have experience or advice on this? Is it worthwhile to keep calling back and trying for the upgrade with miles? Should I buy the ticket from Air France instead of Delta? I'm told I can't get it on the nonstop from CDG-ORD either (I would if I could, even if it means a 9 hour layover in Paris). Is there a hotel where I can get a day room if I take the CDG-ORD and have that 9 hour layover? I'm Silver medallion on Delta (lifetime gold on United and lifetime platinum on American). All wisdom and advice welcome, thanks, Judy

Last edited by JudyBlueEyes; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:35 pm