FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does Air Canada not provide free same-day changes for elites?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:41 pm
28isGreat

Originally Posted by keitherson
Why can Air Canada not provide a basic service for elites that every other airline has?

Do they simply not have the IT? The trained agents?
Why do AC elites think that any new benefit should be reserved for elites?

To your broader question - simple: AC thinks they can make more money from confirmed SDC than the hypothetical possibility that free standby's will reduce VBD/IDB compensation. I'm pretty sure training and IT have nothing to do with it. They're quite capable of handling upgrade lists, which is not all that different.

Unfortunately, I even proved AC right one day; having taken advantage (as a non-elite!) of United's free standby on my first flight, I stood disappointed in LAX at AC's counter... "what do you mean you don't do standby???" and then forked over the cash for SDC.

I've heard some objections along the lines of: some people may "game" the system by buying cheaper flights and then standing-by for earlier, more expensive flights. Though I don't doubt this occasionally happens... so what? Do they really think such people would buy the more expensive ticket if they didn't have the free standby?