FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points from the Pacific [split off from OMaaT]
Old May 24, 2017, 12:09 am
B747-437B

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We live in an age where people under 25 want to quit their jobs, become YouTube famous, and get paid to be an influencer and be the envy of their peers. They get by with smoke and mirrors. I think we all know that Ben has been guilty of that. If that's the road the kid wants to lead we can only blame his parents and the people who sell him on this dream.
I think the comparisons with Ben are inevitable, but not necessarily accurate.

For all the "smoke and mirrors" surrounding Ben right now, he actually has a college degree and his primary income source is not his blog/media work but rather his "award booking" travel agency services. Certainly the business benefits from Ben's media visibility, but there is an actual business providing services which could theoretically continue to operate if Ben's media presence were to be scaled back.

I'm the last person to criticise a young adult for making unorthodox career choices, but this person neither comes across as an adult nor does his choice come across as a career. I wish him well and hope he doesn't regret this choice in a few years time when it may be too late.