FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going South w/ Avianca and a little bit of Rouge
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 pm
iceblueshoes

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Day 1
Well the day had finally come for me to begin my trek to South America.
First it was off to the airport in order to get my flight with Avianca.

Since I was a first time Uber user, I figured, why not try it out and use it to get to the airport. Ride was fine. Driver was actually a good conversationlist. Unfortuntely Uber didn’t apply my credit it.
If anyone can tell me how to contact them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways though, got to the airport and enjoyed not having to wait in line.
After clearing security I went to the Maple Leaf Lounge. Finally, I would have the chance to check out the much talked about Maple Leaf Lounge… Annd…… it’s rather underwhelming…
trip1
Neat fountain.

Lounge wasn’t too busy. In decent shape, looks nice but the food and drinks selection was average at best.
trip2 by
trip3 by

trip4 by

Decent spirits though, but it reminded me of the domestic lounge at YVR.
At least it’s not too busy though. Easy place to find a spot to sit.

trip5
I had some macaroni and cheese. It was ok, but nothing great. Also had a few glasses of wine, but wasn’t trying to get drunk or anything.
Anyways, after a little while I figured I should get to the gate so off I went. I could get used to this earlier boarding thing

The plane

Plane is decent enough. No pods sadly, but there’s IFE and the seats are fairly wide.
trip22
trip21
The purser quickly offered us a welcome drink (sparkling wine)
What some people were being allowed to bring as carry-on was beyond insanity…

Anyways, flight itself was ok, but no menu, no real options, besides, beef, chicken or fish. I went for the fish (tilapia) this time (more on this later)
It was alright.
trip20

Meal [trip8
Some sort of wrap thing. Not too shabby.

Since the bathroom was busy for a long time, I decided to use the bathroom in the back (Economy)
trip14
When I got back the flight attendant asked "why did you use the one in the back?"
To which I answered "the one up front was busy for so long."

My happy place:
trip6
And my happy place at dusk...
trip9
Anyways, finally we arrive in San Salvador for a 40-ish minute layover. No time to check out the lounge, just enough to run for a quick washroom break though and then… wait… gee thanks desk agent for saying “we’re boarding soon”…. And then taking another 30mins almost.

Well back on the plane, so far looked the same… until I sat down. No IFE… and no USB. The prior plane had the ports on the side.
Plane is looking a little worn, but life goes on.
trip23

Same welcome drink again… but with some nuts this time.
trip5

Flight to be continued... sorry for the delay...

Last edited by iceblueshoes; Sep 3, 2017 at 7:30 pm