FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/JL: HKG-NRT-JFK, $550ai, 17173 miles, 3.2cpm
Old May 17, 2017, 11:05 am
HLCinCOU

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbAA
Well, aa.com doesn't want to offer anything but an AA codeshare on JL or CX, other than the HKG-NRT segments. So, other than more EQD's and a possible NRT to JFK nonstop, no substantial benefit to using the JL flights. Using JL, the RDM's are probably 30% of BIS (5800 plus elite bonus vs 4884 for AA metal/codeshare,) but not more than 50% per the chart as this is probably the lowest fare category. But, EQM's are only 50% of BIS-9722 vs 19444. What you gain in EQD or RDM benefit is lost in lower EQM's and no UPG's.

I can more easily and comfortably generate EQD's by flying premium cabin OW partners, QR and MH primarily, or the occsional CX or BA PE deals. I don't want to have to fly an extra trans-pacific RT to make up for the lost EQM's. And, I don't want to fly in coach.
Completely reasonable thought process. You'll note that my first post in this thread basically said "the JL flights might be good if you're short EQD and long EQM" which is in full agreement with your analysis.