FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points from the Pacific [split off from OMaaT]
Old May 16, 2017, 1:10 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Let's get real. A 16 year old "saving money" for a Residence ticket? Come on now. But his writing is way beyond his years and his photos are even better then lucky IMO. Good for the kid to have a hobby, but no doubt this is just some rich parents letting their kids enjoy their passion, nothing wrong with that.

At 16, my parents were lending me their 20 year old beater. Very Jealous.
Why not? My father started washing and detailing cars when he was 13 and had enough for a very nice used car by the time he was 16 with money to spare and a new car at 18. I worked (part time during school and full-time during summer break) starting at 14 and self-funded all of my private pilot course costs myself, getting my first license at 16 with leftover money towards a car and further flight training. Not all teens are out partying and wasting time.

Zac guy stated in a reply to one of his commenters that his parents didn't contribute anything. I don't know the kid so I can't vouch for him. But even if his savings had included some Christmas money and gifts from Grandma, it's still more impressive for a teenager to have that dedication...as compared to a self-sufficient 27-year-old with a long-running business, who first tried to beg for his readers to fund his dream trip. Then only later finally pried open his wallet once prices dropped a bit.