FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few stars in Provence and other nice things
Old May 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
offerendum
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some
Le Vivier - L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Before I went to Provence I did of course read reviews. One restaurant was named as “outstanding” (was even mentioned positive in this thread by others). Le Vivier in Sur la Sorgue. I had a look at the internet and found it interesting. Even if it was a one hour drive from our hotel I decided to book. 3 course menu was with 55,00 € inexpensive, so I thought it would be no real risk.
When we arrived at the restaurant the 3 parking spaces or so were already occupied and we started a search. After a while and unsuccessful attempts I decided to park at a motel, not sure if it was allowed. I got the impression it´s connected with the restaurant, which lies in an unattractive functional building with shops.
When we entered the restaurant we were positively surprised. The whole restaurant is furnished with Kartell furniture and accessories, a brand my company loves.

You can like it or not, she would have liked to take everything. I found it stylish.
The meal started with an Amuse Bouche.

When I saw it, I was surprised. I had told them that we don´t eat meat, but it was ham on it. I removed it, so not the biggest problem. The Mozzarella-foam tasted OK. I would call it solid.
For the first course I ordered Fresh morels, asparagus, pink schrimps and lapsang souchon sabayon. It sounded great and they charged 10,00 € surcharge.

When I tried it I was shocked. First I found something like bacon-pieces in my food. The roasted cheese or whatever it was tasted of pork fat. The morels and asparagus were OK. Even if I waive the meat-problem not a good dish.
My company ordered Open ravioli of haddock and mussels, apple and celeriac.

My company thought it tasted strange. I tried and had rubbery pure white fat in my mouth. Even the rest tasted terrible and if I now look on the picture, the dish barely meets the requirements of an appealing meal.
Our main-course was roast scallop, watercress, ginger and cauliflower,

OK, no meat this time, but the dish was underwhelming. Worst thing was the sauce which simply didn´t match and had an unpleasant taste. The other components were also underwhelming. To be fair the scallops were good prepared. Not good!
As desert my company had the selection of chocolate dessert.

It was tasty and good, I would say on the level of a good restaurant. I had the apple, pistachio and matcha-tea combination.

Not bad at all and solid.
Last: Petit fours:

What a meal! Who gave this restaurant a star? It was without joking one of the worst meals I ever had in a starred restaurant, nothing was even near the expected level. This restaurant should be avoid at all costs, to add the icing on the cake we were both ill after our visit and I get still sick when I remember.