FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any tips for an AB transatlantic newbie?
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2017, 1:56 am
waffle

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
All right, I haven't crossed the Atlantic with them and it's been a few years since my last long-haul on AB, but here's what I can answer:

AB has followed other airlines in adopting the low-frills model on short-haul, but they remain a full-service airline on long-haul. The service in Y is usually okay: nothing fancy, but not worse than what you'd get on a US-based airline. You do get complimentary food and drinks and you can check a bag for free. I can imagine that their check-in counters can get a bit crowded before a transatlantic, but they're not deliberately annoying.

You should keep in mind that they've recently changed their ground handling company at TXL which still leads to routine delays of more than an hour. TXL is not a fun airport to wait at.

I haven't been to the Airportclub lounge, nor have I read great things about it. Apparently it very narrowly beats waiting in the terminal building – so if you get in for free you may as well, but I doubt it's worth paying for.

The lounges in Terminal A have to be landside because of the unique layout of the terminal and they usually work well for departures from that terminal. As your flight will almost certainly leave from Terminal C however, I'd encourage you to wait there. The airport has recently opened its first airside lounge there (the Weltbürger-Lounge) and you can purchase access for €36 (unless you have Sapphire/Emerald status, in which case it's free for you and a guest). This will be worth considering if you have a longer wait as it's a huge improvement over the terminal building (also affectionately called the "garden shed").

TXL is normally an efficient airport to depart from, but your entertainment options will be limited, so there's no need to arrive very early. Spend your time in the city instead and show up 90–120 minutes before departure.