FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class
Old May 9, 2017, 5:12 pm
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gaobest
If you're not thrilled about summer weather, then will you just spend future Summers away? Also where did you live in San Francisco for 10 years?? I've lived in cow hollow, sunset, and bernal.
Agreed on this - plus for travel, you'd have longer fun flights to Europe and the Asia / Australia / Hawaii flights are still long enough.
We can't even decide where we want to live period, let alone where to go in the summer. At least we will have a summer unlike living in San Francisco. We were in The Marina and 10 years is long time to live without a summer.

Originally Posted by AtlFlyer123
I'm never flying American I just want to say thank you for encouraging me to never fly American. That beef doesn't even look like beef if I were you I would have taken a sample of beef and sent it to a lab for analysis
Thank you AtlFlyer123. I'd stick with Delta if you are in ATL.

Originally Posted by Flavio1990
"The Australian Merlot was wretched"
So it would be when you can buy it for less than $15. Always amazed at the low quality of wines that are sometimes offered in business and first class
I'm surprised that it cost that much. Thanks Flavio1990.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That steak is prepared in a style now known as "Presidential-style." The only thing that was missing (perhaps available on request) was ketchup. I suppose they think it is a step up from last year's meat loaf. First class meat loaf ... four words you never thought you'd see together.
LOL, indeed. That meat loaf was actually pretty good in a pathetic I'm hungry and have no other option for 5 hours sense. Darn, why didn't I think of that. Ketchup would have definitely improved that "beef" or whatever it really was. Thank you Eastbay1K.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Great report - I enjoyed your perspective of someone not from NYC looking to live here as a livelong NYer. Just curious, did you consider Gramercy Park or the West Village as well? I personally prefer the dining options and convenience of being downtown. Also maybe think about Brooklyn Heights - very close to Manhattan with some nice cozy dining options in the neighborhood and nicer ones just a bit south in Cobble Hill.
Thanks so much 764toHI. Someone else mentioned Brooklyn Heights. Certainly great views of the city. We're going back this weekend to explore some more.

Originally Posted by Genius1
It'll be sad to see the VX product disappear; a nicely executed concept that was head and shoulders above all the legacy North American carriers.
Some nice pictures from around NY. I was there last month when it was still rather cold and wet, with the trees barely out which I think makes all the difference, particularly for photos.
I agree with you on the AA IFCL at JFK - nothing amazing at all and not very different from the previous FL. The wall where the buffet is (and indeed the buffet itself) is temporary and will open out to more lounge space and the Flagship Dining area once refurbishment is complete. I believe the AC is also not yet its full size.
It looks like you got an old international J amenity kit on your way back to LAX - presumably using up stock. It's a shame AA's catering is so dismal when the hard product in J and F on transcon and international sectors is much improved and indeed better than some other carriers.
Thanks for an interesting read, and good luck with house hunting!
Thank you very much Genius1. Indeed, it will be sad what VX finally disappears from the domestic scene. It was great while it lasted. But we're back with them one more time this weekend to JFK. I'm looking forward to seeing that finished JFK FL product although the AA sceptic in me thinks that it will much ado about nothing and another smoke and mirrors AA fail.

Originally Posted by theshaun
Being the proud Vancouverite that I am, have you considered Vancouver? Don't forget the best domestic first flight in North America. Cathay YVR>JFK
Thank you theshaun. Great idea about that CX flight. Unfortunately Vancouver like Seattle won't make the cut as we don't want to live anywhere with 6-9 months of rain a year.

Originally Posted by BUT777
Thanks for another great report. Having my 1st trancon first experience with AA just 2 weeks ago. I finally understand your pain with the food on AA. Everything except the sundae was borderline edible. Although food on CX has gone downhill, I would never complain on their food again after my experience with AA.
Thanks BUT777. Sorry to hear about your similar culinary experience. Have to agree on CX. Everything is relative.

Originally Posted by BA5E
glad to see SFO777 next report have subscribed and will be reading it at my leisure, probably at work^
Thank you BA5E.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
How do you know they load the cabin with employees? Genuine question, as it's pretty stupid, especially considering how stingy they are with award seats
TheBOSman has nailed it. The GA paging 6 people to podium and see them walking away giddy with excitement.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
This is an overly simplified version of how it works and may not be totally accurate, but in effect employees can travel standby if empty seats are available. In this case, AA appears to be doing a mediocre at best job of selling first class. Since they aren't releasing any awards, this would routinely leave a number of first class seats available. JFK-LAX is a popular route for travel for anyone based in either location who flies frequently, such as airline employees based in one or the other. So, employees will clear the standby list into first class as first class has empty seats. You can easily see when this happens if you monitor flight loads shortly in advance of your flight, or even simply the people at the GA desk getting boarding passes with a big smile right before departure.
Happens on a number of AA routes, I had a cabin load of 3 of 8 on JFK-GRU (this back when the 77W was still quite new) in terms of paying passengers (well, I was travelling on an award ). The rest of the cabin promptly filled up with AA employees travelling standby; a few seats in business class were also taken similarly.
Originally Posted by apodo77
Good luck with the potential move.
I lived in Ladera Ranch for a couple of years. We would make the short trek to Dana Point and get lava cake at the Chart House once a month or so. Great views.
Thank you apodo77. Indeed, great views front he Chart House.