FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any tips for an AB transatlantic newbie?
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017, 9:22 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any tips for an AB transatlantic newbie?

I'm flying AB transatlantic for the first time: TXL-JFK in economy with some family members. I'm not expecting much. I know they're generally a "no frills" airline (I've flown them within Europe), and things aren't so good financially at the company. Their reputation is also less than stellar. But the trip was cheap on Avios miles, so I booked it.

Any "idiosyncrasies" I should know about this service? Like when I called their rez line a while ago to ask about seat assignments, they told me there are no free assignments. If that's the case, do I get to pick my seats when the check in window opens? And when is that? The website says 30 hours, but my guess is that it's actually 24-hours for transatlantic.

What about baggage? I usually just do carry-on, but I'm likely to have some wine with me that I'll want to check. I seem to get a free checked bag. Anything weird/annoying about their counters at TXL?

And what about carry-on? The website says you're limited to 8 kg, and your personal item has to be small. Is any of that actually enforced (my rollerboard will probably be close to 8 kg), or do the typical USA carry-on rules actually govern?

Priority Pass says there's a lounge landside at Terminal A: the Berlin Airportclub Lounge. Is this reasonably convenient to AB's operation? Is the food and drink decent? And is the landside location "a problem": eg, unpredictability of getting through customs and security?

What about on-board service? I've read that they have OK-but-not-great individual entertainment screens, and somewhat tight economy class seating. Is it worse than a typical USA airline? And what about the food? It's still complimentary, right? And is there enough of it for a 9 hour flight? Any need to bring any food with us? Do they follow the traditional transatlantic practice of giving you a meal and, later, a snack?

Thanks for the help!