FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Memory Lane] 1989/90 Manchester to Japan on Sabena
Old May 5, 2017, 12:50 pm
RandomBaritone

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by rosensfole
As a smoker I was pleased to be in a smoking seat though the fellow in front wasn’t overly keen. I think I’m quite considerate so kept my smoking to a minimum and even trotted off to an empty seat at the back a few times to minimise his discomfort.
That reminds me of my first time flying LO in the mid-80s. No sooner had we taken off than a gentleman directly across the aisle from me lit up a foul-smelling Eastern bloc cigarette. I checked my boarding pass, which confirmed I was in non-smoking. Once we'd reached cruising altitude, I asked a passing FA "Non-smoking?" She nodded, at which point I attempted to discreetly point out the offender. She looked puzzled and nodded again, and pointed to a placard at the front of the cabin with a smoking sign.

At that point it hit me: the right side of the cabin was smoking, and the left side was non-smoking. On Polish Airways. Let that sink in.

Originally Posted by rosensfole
The first 2 legs of the return were probably the most uncomfortable flights I ever had, I was trapped in against the window by a giant of a man from Borneo, he smoked constantly while awake, had awful wind and snored like a regiment. I couldn't move as I couldn't climb over him. The FA took pity on me but the flight was full so she was powerless.
This scene will now haunt my nightmares until I die.